Friday, April 1, 2011

Old School Tool

Woo hoo! What a sucky (cold, rainy) April 1st. At least around these parts... I set to work hacking up another critter today with my trusty coping saw. This tried and true implement has been with me for a very long time.


Here, held aloft with a pre-made, twisted wire "spine," I've used Ye Olde Coping Sawe to frame my on-site foreman, Mojo. Due to CTS in both hands, I can't hold the stupid thing very long to saw with it, so I've developed the following alternative approach:


I hold it between my knees while using both hands to, instead of holding the saw, hold the object to be hacked (which in this case is the neck). Worx like a charm.  So then I stuck in the pre-made spine mentioned earlier to connect the itty bitty head to the itty bitty body from whence it came, like so:


Then he got a neck form roughed in like so:


Now this is just to give me an idea of what he needs in terms of a neck... I dunno if I'll trim a bit along the crest or not... Tho in looking at him now, I've decided to braid his mane and tail in sculpted floss and leave the Pooky Lipped QH gelding in western dress. Maybe a nice banded mane...? Dunno....

And here is my second G2 CM QH:


Being as how this guy is intended to be a Foundation Type Appaloosa, I'm going to whack his head off at some point and shorten that neck a bit. I really don't care for the turn in the neck of this mold and once I redid him into a canter, it seems the curve is much more pronounced, or at least much more noticeable now. I don't know how other peeps do it, but I've never had any luck taking pictures of horses (real or otherwise) facing me without them looking like some weird kind of bubble-headed balloon float. And that fact alone has necessitated the change in this beastie. I think the length of that neck's more noticeable in this photo:


In my mind, this does not a Foundation Appaloosa equal! Stay tuned...




No comments:

Post a Comment