Friday, April 8, 2011

Instant Gratification

If you are into instant gratification (like myself), customizing models in any way, is not for you. This is my newest theory as to why I develop certain dislikes for a particular model. Thankfully, ye olde Friesian didn't fall into that category, tho he sure did take a lot of work and layer after layer after layer of white paint. And therein lies the rub; it's the amount of time it takes to put on the ultra-smooth, highly detailed and realistically patterned topicals, that grate on my last nerve.

 
I tried something a bit different with this guy. I painted his leg feathers in with obscene amounts of thinned white paint, following the hair growth pattern. Since I wanted him to look like he's been living in the pasture, I attempted to portray the dirty leg feather that real-horse owners dread! Unfortunately, he leaped from the noose in which I'd hung him for spraying and on the way down, chipped his ear tips. I find that, for me at any rate, oil is far superior to any other type of paint in this aspect (and a few others). Oil paint, at least what I've used, seems to "scuff" more so than "chip." Due to the many layers of sealer involved in the painting process with pastel, the chips are exactly that: chips. So that, besides having to replace the color, the ear surface level needs to be corrected as well. But then again on the bright side, it does push me to develop new fixes for the problems! His ears have been attended and he is for sale; more pictures in my Webshots Album.

No comments:

Post a Comment